Matt Sheppard enters season finale with 72-point cushion, while championship rival Mat Williamson aims to deliver an upset for second Series title
The Super DIRTcar Series Big Blocks, along with their World of Outlaws peers, will head to the Dirt Track at Charlotte to crown their 2023 champion, Nov. 1-4.
Points leader Matt Sheppard enters the season finale with a 72-point cushion over second place Mat Williamson. He’ll look to hold on to that lead on his way to a 10th career Series title.
And behind them, there are several points positions still up for grabs with third through seventh separated by 75 points.
Thursday and Friday’s 30-lap Features will award a $10,000 payout, while Saturday’s 40-lap Feature will award a $15,000 payout.
TICKETS: CLICK HERE
If you can’t make it to the track, you can watch all the action live on DIRTVision – either online or by downloading the DIRTVision App.
MAN TO BEAT: Nine-time and defending Series champion Matt Sheppard enters the World of Outlaws World Finals looking to secure his 10th Series title with four nights of solid performances. The Waterloo, NY driver suffered two nights of bad luck at last year’s event when his motor malfunctioned two nights, leading to two DNFs. But the challenges did not hinder him from being declared the season champion for the ninth time.
Sheppard has scored three career Series wins at the Concord, NC oval and will be looking for his fourth, starting Thursday night.
GO BIG OR GO HOME: 2023 Billy Whittaker Cars 200 champion Mat Williamson enters the World of Outlaws World Finals in second place, 72 points behind leader Matt Sheppard.
The Buzz Chew Racing driver ended his 2022 season with a bang after winning two of three Features at last year’s World Finals, gaining 81 points in the battle against Sheppard. Although the stellar performance was not enough to capture the title, he went home with a respectable second-place finish.
The St. Catharines, ON driver will look to replicate last year’s success in his campaign for his second career Series title and first since 2019.
TOP FINISH: Third-year Series driver Tim Sears Jr. has had a breakout season, scoring three top-five finishes and 12 top-10 finishes. He comes into the World of Outlaws World Finals in third place in the points battle behind Series stars Matt Sheppard and Mat Williamson.
Sears Jr. holds a 27-point lead over fourth place Mike Mahaney, and a 29-point lead over fifth-place Jimmy Phelps. If the Central Square, NY native can deliver four nights of consistent racing, he will complete his best Series finish of his career. He previous best finish in points is 11th the last two years.
BATTLE ‘TIL THE END: Fourth-place Mike Mahaney (3420 points) and fifth-place Jimmy Phelps (3418 points) have jockeyed back and forth for positions all season long, with the two coming into the final three races separated by a mere two points.
Mahaney has managed five top-five finishes thus far this season, including his third Series win at Autodrome Drummond on Aug. 1. The King Ferry, NY driver will enter the Dirt Track at Charlotte with momentum in his favor as he is coming off a third-place finish at the Billy Whittaker Cars 200 on Oct. 9.
Similarly, while he has not been able to secure a win thus far this season, Jimmy Phelps has worked his way into the top-five with consistent finishes. He comes into the event with four top-five finishes, with his most recent coming at Brockville-Ontario Speedway back on Aug. 2.
Phelps has one Series victory to his name at the 4/10-mile oval (in 2010), while Mahaney will look for his first.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Rookie of the Year frontrunner Felix Roy has steadily gained the attention and respect of his racing peers as he’s shown steady growth throughout the year. He averaged a 17th-place finish in the first half of the year and has improved to a 14th-place finish in the second half.
The Napierville, QC native has notched five top-10 finishes, including a second-place finish at Albany-Saratoga Speedway on Sept. 23. The 18-year-old will enter World Finals with an 80-point lead over fellow Canadian rookie Steve Bernard in his race to become the 2023 Rookie of the Year.
The Dirt Track at Charlotte
Configuration: Track Length: 0.400; semi banked
2023 FEATURE WINS:
2023 HEAT WINS:
-Tim Sears Jr.-2
-Matthew Stangle -1
-Ronnie Davis III-1
2023 BILLY WHITTAKER CARS FAST TIME AWARD
2023 LAPS LED
10-Francois Bernier -46
-Tim Sears Jr.-32
22-Felix Roy 13
2023 Super DIRTcar Series Schedule & Winners
#/Day, Date/Track/Location/Winner (Total Wins)
1. Wednesday, Feb. 15 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Max McLaughlin (1)
2. Thursday, Feb. 16 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Mat Williamson (1)
3. Saturday, Feb. 18 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Mat Williamson (2)
4. Sunday, April 23/Bridgeport Motorsports Park/ Swedesboro, NJ/ Mat Williamson (3)
5. Sunday, May 28/ Weedsport Speedway/ Weedsport, NY/ Mat Williamson (4)
6. Monday, May 29/ Lebanon Valley Speedway/ West Lebanon, NY/ Matt Sheppard (1)
7. Tuesday, June 13/Albany-Saratoga Speedway/ Malta, New York/ Chris Hile (1)
8. Monday, July 3/ Orange County Fair Speedway/ Middletown, NY/ Matt Sheppard (2)
9. Tuesday, July 11/ Big Diamond Speedway/Pottsville, PA/ Anthony Perrego (1)
10. Sunday, July 16/ Weedsport Speedway/ Weedsport, NY/ Mat Williamson (5)
11. Wednesday, July 19/ Land of Legends Raceway/ Canandaigua, NY/ Tim Fuller (1)
12. Monday, July 31/ Autodrome Drummond/ Drummondville, QC/ Erick Rudolph (1)
13. Tuesday, August 1/Autodrome Drummond/ Drummondville, QC/ Mike Mahaney (1)
14. Wednesday, August 2/ Brockville-Ontario Speedway/ Brockville, ON/ Tim Fuller (2)
15. Monday, August 14/ Brewerton Speedway/ Brewerton, NY/Mat Williamson (6)
16. Wednesday, August 16/ Land of Legends Raceway/ Canandaigua, NY/ Matt Sheppard (3)
17. Tuesday, August 22/Ransomville Speedway/ Ransomville, NY/Erick Rudolph (2)
18. Saturday, Sept. 2/ Lebanon Valley Speedway/ West Lebanon, NY/ Andy Bachetti (1)
19. Saturday, Sept. 23/ Albany-Saratoga Speedway/ Malta, NY/Stewart Friesen (1)
20. Monday, Oct. 9/ Oswego Speedway/ Oswego, NY/ Mat Williamson (7)