Decker denies Fuller, wins Mohawk 100
3rd Super DIRTcar Series win for defending champion
Hogansburg, N.Y. – July 9, 2015 – Billy Decker drove to his third Super DIRTcar Series win of the season in the Gypsum Wholesalers No.91 Thursday at Mohawk International Raceway despite a late race rally by Tim Fuller.
Decker started 7th in a 30-car field in the Gypsum Wholesalers No. 91 and took the lead on a lap-79 restart after a 30-lap duel with Billy Dunn. He opened up a four car-length lead while Fuller kept advancing (13th at halfway) and moved into second just before a final caution with nine laps left.
Fuller ran a high line and led by a wheel at the line to complete lap 93 before Decker regained control. Earlier, Decker earned the Pole Position Raceway Fast Time Award by besting Brett Hearn by 0.001 seconds.
Pat Ward, steady throughout, completed the podium finish with Jimmy Phelps 4th and Brett Hearn 5th.
Decker stayed in the lowest groove possible while Fuller got a wheel past him on the outside to lead 93 and then resumed control and won by four car-lengths.
“Fuller scared the hell out of me,” Decker grinned in victory lane. “I had a very good car and the track was in terrific shape. Dunn and I ran two different lines for a long time. There was a lot of track to work with.”
Dunn, the 2014 Mohawk track champion, started 3rd and wrested the lead from Brian McDonald on lap 29 after a door-to-door battle with polesitter Carey Terrance. Decker wound up alongside him on a lap 52 restart after the second of six cautions.
A final caution on lap 91 set up Fuller’s bid. He had advanced steadily in the second half of the race.
“I made a different tire choice than Decker,” Fuller said. “You heat up the right rear enough and you fade. I lead a lap, but it was the wrong one Considering where I started I’ll take it.
Series point leader Matt Sheppard started 12th and placed ninth.
Jimmy Phelps and Brett Hearn completed the top five.
The Super DIRTcar Series moves to Five Mile Point Speedway Tuesday, July 14.
A-Main (100 laps): start in (*)
1. 91 Billy Decker – Unadilla, N.Y. (7)
2. 19 Tim Fuller – Edwards, N.Y. (14)
3. 42p Pat Ward – Genoa, N.Y. (9)
4. 98h Jimmy Phelps – Baldwinsville, N.Y. (6)
5. 20 Brett Hearn – Sussex, NJ (5)
6. 49 Billy Dunn – Watertown, N.Y. (3)
7. 96 Chad Brachmann – Sanborn, N.Y. (8)
8. R70 Ryan Arbuthnot – Renfrew, ON (18)
9. 9h Matt Sheppard – Waterloo, N.Y. (12)
10. 7z Stewart Friesen – Sprakers, NY (10)
11. 38 Lance Whitteker – Iroquois, N.Y. (4)
12. 43 Keith Flach – Ravena, N.Y. (22)
13. 99L Larry Wight- Phoenix, N.Y. (21)
14. 27j Danny Johnson – Rochester, N.Y. (11)
15. 22d Mario Clair – Drummondville, QC (27)
16. 41 Jimmy Davis – Ballston Spa, N.Y. (16)
17. 66x Carey Terrance – Hogansburg, N.Y. (1)
18. 21a Peter Britten – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (25)
19. 63 Adam Roberts – Watertown, N.Y. (24)
20. 16 Lance Willix – Theresa, N.Y. (13)
21. 151k Brian McDonald – Cornwall, ON (2)
22. 21R Erick Rudolph – Ransomville N. Y. (15)
23. 8 Rich Scagliotta – Bound Brook, N.J. (29)
24. 112 Charlie Rice – Kahnawake, QC (28)
25. 1 Tyler Dippel – Walkill, N.Y. (20)
26. 3 Mark Kislowski – Ballston Spa, N.Y. (17)
27. 9j Jordan McCreadie – Watertown, N.Y. (23)
28. m96 Danny O’Brien – Kingston, ON (19 )
29. 23 Laurent Ladouceur – Alexandria, ON (26)
30. 48T Dave Rauscher – Waterloo, N.Y. (30)
DID NOT START
94 Gage Morin
55x Wallace Stacey
X Craig Collier
34 George Foley
55 Dexter Stacey
Qualifying Heats (8 laps, top 5 transfer, top 3 redraw)
Heat 1: D Johnson, Terrance, Sheppard, Willix, Kislowski, McCreadie, Clair, Scagliotta, Foley
Heat 2: Hearn, McDonald, Dunn, Fuller, Arbuthnot, Britten, Wight, Rauscher
Heat 3: Decker, Ward, Brachmann, Rudolph, O’Brien, Roberts, Ladouceur, Collier
Heat 4: Whitteker, Phelps, Friesen, Davis, Dippel, Flach, Rice, W Stacey
Consi 1: Wight, McCreadie, Britten, Scagliotta, Rauscher, Foley, W Stacey
Consi 2: Flach, Roberts, Ladouceur, Rice, Collier, D Stacey
The Super DIRTcar Series and DIRTcar Racing in the Northeast Region is brought to fans by several sponsors and partners including Hoosier Racing Tire, VP Racing Fuels, Chevy Performance Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, Pole Position Raceway and Dig Safely New York. Contingency sponsors are ASI, Bicknell Racing Products, Bilstein Shocks, Brodix, ButlerBuilt, Cometic Gasket, Comp Cams, Edelbrock, FX Caprara, Fox Shox, Impact Race Products, Intercomp, JE Pistons, JRI Shocks, KSE Racing Products, Mobil 1, Motorsports Safety Systems,MSD Performance, Racing Electronics, Superflow, TNT Rescue and Wrisco Aluminum.
Article Manager: Add New Article