Matt Sheppard looks to continue his hot streak with a third straight win, while Jimmy Phelps looks to capitalize on SummerFAST success
The Super DIRTcar Series travels back to Western New York for the Summer Nationals at Ransomville Speedway on Wednesday, Aug. 24.
It will be the only Series stop at the Ransomville, NY track this season, paying out $7,500 to the victor of the 75-lap Feature.
Fresh off three days of racing last week during SummerFAST, several drivers will be eager to build off the momentum of the event. Others will look for redemption.
If you can’t make it to the track, you can watch all the action live on DIRTVision – either online or by downloading the DIRTVision App.
Here are the top storylines to follow…
CONTINUING THE HOT STREAK: Eight-time and defending Series champion Matt Sheppard comes into the Ransomville matchup after an incredibly successful run at the inaugural SummerFAST event. He won two out of the three events and claim the first SummerFAST championship, while continuing to lead the Series points battle.
Sheppard has found success at Ransomville before, notching victories in 2021 and 2017. If he were to claim the victory this visit, it would be the first three-peat of the season, keeping him on track for his ninth career Series title, come the World Finals at The Dirt Track at Charlotte (Nov. 2-5).
BREAKTHROUGH SUCCESS: Heinke-Baldwin Racing driver Jimmy Phelps also enters Ransomville with the momentum of SummerFAST success.
The Baldwinsville, NY driver won his first points-paying Series race since 2019 by bringing his team a home track win at Weedsport Speedway. The victory also locked him into the 50th Running of NAPA Auto Parts Super DIRT Week.
He followed up the win with a top-10 finished at Brewerton Speedway and then a third at Land of Legends Raceway. He’ll try to turn that momentum into a Summer Nationals win, which would be his first Series win at Ransomville.
STAYING IN THE FIGHT: Mat Williamson, the 2019 Series champion of St. Catharines, ON, has found his stride at the perfect time. He’s climbed his way back into second in points after three straight top 10 – two being top fives – as he heads to a track he’s ruled all year.
Williamson has led the points for 358 Modifieds at Ransomville throughout the year, picking up multiple victories. However, if he’s able to win on Wednesday it would be his first Super DIRTcar Series win at Ransomville Speedway.
KEEPING THE MOMENTUM: Rookie Adam Pierson found break out success during SummerFAST, finishing 10th at Brewerton Speedway followed up by a second place finish at Land of Legends Raceway. It was the first career podium finish with the Series for the East Corinth, VT driver and second of the season overall. Pierson will look to carry over the success into Summer Nationals and the rest of the championship season.
LOCAL TALENT: Former Super DIRTcar Series full-time driver Erick Rudolph will be contending with the current Series regulars for the win. The Ransomville, NY native has eight career Series wins and finished 5th at the last Series matchup at Ransomville last year.
Configuration: 3/8 mile
Big Block Track Record: 16.035 sec. set by Billy Decker on August 5, 2014
AROUND THE TURN: The Super DIRTcar Series will travel back to Lebanon Valley Speedway in West Lebanon, NY on Sept. 3 to compete for the title of Mr. DIRT Track USA. The race will reward the victor with a massive $25,500 payout and a guaranteed starting spot at the 50th Running of NAPA Auto Parts Super DIRT Week, Oct. 3-9.
2022 FEATURE WINS:
1-Matt Sheppard – 5
2-Stewart Friesen – 2
-Max McLaughlin – 2
-Jimmy Phelps – 2
5-Peter Britten – 1
-Mat Williamson – 1
-Ryan Godown – 1
2022 HEAT WINS:
1-Matt Sheppard – 8
2-Peter Britten – 6
3-Mat Williamson – 5
-Jimmy Phelps –5
-Stewart Friesen – 5
7-Max McLaughlin – 3
8-Jack Lehner – 2
-Tim Fuller – 2
-Ronnie Davis III-2
-Tim Sears Jr-2
14-Demetrios Drellos – 1
-Rick Laubach – 1
-Ryan Godown – 1
-Ryan Krachun – 1
-Billy Dunn – 1
-Kenny Tremont Jr.-1
2022 BILLY WHITTAKER CARS FAST TIME AWARD
1-Peter Britten – 2
-Max McLaughlin – 2
-Stewart Friesen – 2
5-Jack Lehner – 1
-Jimmy Phelps – 1
2022 LAPS LED
1-Matt Sheppard – 328
2-Jimmy Phelps – 172
3-Stewart Friesen – 106
4-Ryan Godown – 75
9-Mat Williamson – 26
10-Max McLaughlin – 23
11-Alex Yankowski – 10
-Ronnie Davis III-8
2022 Super DIRTcar Series Schedule & Winners
#/Day, Date/Track/Location/Winner (Total Wins)
1. Tuesday, Feb. 15 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Stewart Friesen (1)
2. Wednesday, Feb. 16 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Peter Britten (1)
3. Thursday, Feb. 17 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Mat Williamson (1)
4. Friday, Feb. 18 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Max McLaughlin (1)
5. Saturday, Feb. 19 / Volusia Speedway Park / Barberville, FL / Jimmy Phelps (1)
6. Tuesday, May 3 / Bridgeport Motorsports Park / Swedesboro, NJ / Ryan Godown (1)
7. Wednesday, May 18 / Can-Am Speedway / LaFargville, NY / Matt Sheppard (1)
8. Sunday, May 29 / Weedsport Speedway / Weedsport, NY / Stewart Friesen (2)
9. Monday, May 30 / Lebanon Valley Speedway / West Lebanon, NY / LJ Lombardo (1)
10. Friday, June 24 / Albany-Saratoga Speedway/ Malta, NY/ Mike Mahaney (1)
11.Thursday, June 30 / Land of Legends Raceway/ Canandaigua, NY/Max McLaughlin (2)
12. Wednesday, July 13/Big Diamond Speedway/ Pottsville, PA/Matt Sheppard (2)
13. Thursday, July 28/Orange County Fair Speedway/Middletown, NY/Matt Sheppard (3)
14. Monday, August 15/Weedsport Speedway/ Weedsport, NY/Jimmy Phelps (2)
15. Tuesday, August 16/ Brewerton Speedway/ Central Square, NY/ Matt Sheppard (4)
16. Thursday, August 18/Land of Legends Raceway/ Canandaigua, NY/ Matt Sheppard (5)